Today (1 October) marks the beginning of National Smart Home Month, a campaign to raise awareness about the life-enhancing benefits of smart home technology.
However you look at it, our homes and technology are becoming more intertwined by the day. From voice-activated assistants that can help you to perform hands-free tasks, to complete home automation systems that can ‘learn’ how you live in your house and ensure it provides a comfortable environment in terms of heating, lighting and security at all times.
The Amazon 2019 hardware launch showcased 14 new Alexa-powered gadgets last month, underlying the fast-moving way in which smart technology is changing how we interact with our home.
What Makes a Smart Home?
A truly smart home begins with the design stage and making sure you have a wired (and wireless) infrastructure to support the technology you hope to add.
For self builders and renovators, designing a smart home might seem like an expensive endeavour, but it doesn’t have to break your budget. The good news is that there are smart home solutions for every budget, whether you’re looking for multi-room audio, lighting, heating or home cinema options.
A recent Real Homes survey found 39% of people didn’t know what a connected home is; 31% didn’t understand how to connect everything together; and a staggering 70% don’t know what their smart assistant is capable of. Security is a key concern too, with 50% worrying about how their data will be used.
The Real Homes Hub is a great starting point for those new to or confused by smart home tech. You can find advice on the latest smart home gadgets as well as buying guides to help you find the best deal on the best gadget for your home.
You can also visit the London Homebuilding & Renovating Show (4-6 October, ExCeL) and attend the 60-minute The Smart Home Done Right seminar for expert advice on creating a great smart home. You can get two free tickets here.
National Smart Home Month will run throughout October to raise awareness about the life-enhancing benefits of smart home technology. Find out all you need to know about adding smart tech into your home with product and project advice from Real Homes, Homebuilding & Renovating, T3 and TechRadar.